Singapore - COVID-19, Fever, Swab Test... a personal experience

I did a Swab Test!  If you were skeptical, anxious about seeing a doctor in fear of COVID-19, the Swab Test process is one of the last thing to worry.

How it Started
While at my mum's place, my body felt feverish, joints ached and giddy, my brother took my temperature and was shocked it'd shown 38.8°C!  All sorts of suggestions started among us.  Could it be COVID-19?  Dengue?  Shall I rush to hospital?  Go to the nearest clinic?  Meanwhile I took a paracetamol to try reduce the fever and aching.  As it was past 10pm, I'd decided to visit a nearby night clinic and had chosen to walk over (to reduce the possibility of further contact with others).

At Clinic
It was only while writing this post that I realised there are SASH (Swab-And-Send-Home) clinics among PHPCs.  PHPCs provide subsidised treatment, investigations and medications during this COVID-19 outbreak.  If a patient visits a non-SASH clinic and requires a swab test, he/she will be given a referral letter to visit a SASH clinic to do swab test. For list of PHPCs, click PHPC (Public Health Preparedness Clinic)

Back to my encounter.  After handed over my NRIC for registration, I was told to use my phone to scan the Health QR code to complete a health declaration.  It starts with Purpose of Visit:
  • See Doctor
  • Accompany Patient
  • Others
  • Checkout with SafeEntry
Under See Doctor, declaration by patient:
  • Clinic you intend to go to: [auto-filled in when scan QR code at clinic]
  • Your Name
  • Your NRIC/FIN/Passport No
  • Your mobile number (when swab test result is ready, SMS will be sent to this number)
And a few questions:
  • Do you have/recently had: fever (≥37.5°C), cough, runny nose, sore throat, body ache, loss of sense of smell or shortness of breath? Yes/No
  • Did you have contact with any case of COVID-19 in the last 14 days? Yes/No
  • Were you in other countries (outside Singapore) in the last 14 days before your symptoms? Yes/No
  • Do you work and/or live in environments with higher risk of exposure to COVID-19 cases, e.g. healthcare, foreign worker dormitories, isolation facilities and patient transport? Yes/No

Nasal Swab Test
Doctor told me that any patient above age 13, with symptoms related to COVID-19, is required to do a swab test.  There are nasal swab or oral swab and it's inserted through either nostril or mouth, some patients may sneeze and cough onto attending medical staff, it is recommended to perform swab at the swab booth (see picture at top of post).  Doctor had chosen to swab me in his room instead of at the booth.

The nasopharyngeal swab is a long, thin flexible stick with a flat head (like a longer plastic toothpick) of about 18cm, I was told about 9cm will be inserted into my nasal cavity.

With my head slightly tilted backwards, the nasopharyngeal swab was inserted through my right nostril, when the swab touched the back of nasal cavity, I could feel a sensation in my head, like "brain freeze" when eaten something cold.  While I was paying attention to the sensation in head, the swab was out and it was over.  The process was really fast, bearable and not painful (except for the funny feeling in head).  Later doctor explained to me that when the swab went in, it touched the wall inside where many nerves are, the sensation was my reflex, just like someone touches our hand, some find it ticklish while others feel normal.

The Cost
During this pandemic period, Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident who is diagnosed with respiratory illnesses (e.g. common cold, fever), just need to pay a flat subsidised rate of S$10 (Pioneer Generation and Merdeka Generation seniors to pay S$5) for consultation and treatment of the condition (including cost of swab test if required) at any of the PHPCs or polyclinics.  For more details, please read FAQs on PHPC Scheme (subsidies and co-payment).

Medical Leave
A MC (Medical Certificate) indicating a period of medical leave will be given to the patient.  Take note that the patient must not leave his/her home for the duration of MC, or until he/she receive a negative COVID-19 swab test result, whichever is sooner.  Those who fail to comply will be liable to a fine of up to S$10,000, or imprisonment up to 6 months, or both, under the Infectious Diseases Act.

The Possibilities
There are many causes of fever, the followings are per my condition then.
  • COVID-19 - worst scenario, of which I could only patiently wait for the results
  • Dengue - continued fever, nausea or vomiting, severe headache with pain behind the eyes, joint and muscle pain, rashes on skin, if any of these happens, go to clinic seek medical attention immediately
  • Gallbladder attack - fever, nausea or vomiting, pain in upper right or center of stomach, pain may extend to back between shoulder blades, or in right shoulder, light-colored stool, brownish-colored urine, yellowing of skin or whites of eyes

The Results
The swab result usually be out in 24 hours, as my test was done near 11pm on Friday, the result reached my phone on Sunday morning at 10am.  The SMS was from MOH Swab and stated "Dear XXXXX123H, the result of your recent COVID-19 swab test was Negative. Please click on [link] to acknowledge."  What a relief!  I'm not Asymptomatic, no COVID-19!

Aftermath
My fever and body ache were completely gone within 2 days.  The cause of my high fever remained a mystery.  When I was on high fever, I was more worried about passing the possible viruses to my elderly mum, causing trouble to those whom I'd recently met (they'll need to be quarantined if my results were positive).  Back at home while waiting for results, I'd quickly completed those urgent, unfinished tasks and reminded DT what to follow up.  Anxiety could be a bigger killer!
N.B. To my readers, if this blog goes into hiatus, it could be me, fallen ill.

InteMedical Kovan (SASH)
I was glad to have visited this clinic.  It was my first visit, Dr Chee is very young (at least in my eyes), patient and professional.  He gave me very clear explanations which was informative and eased my anxiety.  Ms Lim at the counter was very friendly too, patiently answered to my queries.  For those who stay in that area, here's some details of clinic.
InteMedical Clinic Kovan
Adresss (Kovan): 210 Hougang Street 21 #01-233 Singapore 530210
Telephone number: +65 6243 3036
Operating hours: 8am to 12am daily

Disclaimer: All information on this post is written in good faith and for general information purpose only.

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. Hi Serguin! I enjoyed reading your article on doing swab test in the neighbourhood - very informative! However, the link out to Intemedical Kovan clinic is wrong, it should be Intemedical.com instead of Intemedical.sg. Possible to update this link? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete