This is part of my ACLP 3.0 Journey series, documenting my personal experience of applying for the course as a Learner
Registering for the Mandatory eLearning
Once I had created my IAL account and completed the relevant information in my profile, the next step was to register for the mandatory eLearning on Skills Framework 2.0 (SFw 2.0) and the Jobs-Skills Portal.
This eLearning has to be completed before applying for ACLP 3.0, so it is one of the things to get done before the application window opens.
After registering for the eLearning, I had to wait for the course invitation before I could proceed. And I was told it may take 3 to 5 working days to receive the email.
Receiving the Course Invitation
The very next day around 2pm, the course invitation was sent by email from IAL LearningSpaceSG via Canvas. I was so thrilled to get it, cos it'll mean I may be on-time to be apply on the coming Friday. And so, I clicked on the link to get started and was brought to the Canvas setup process.
And this was where I had a little unexpected detour. 😅
Setting Up Canvas & Multi-Factor Authentication
Canvas required me to set up Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA). The instructions included a QR code which was meant to be scanned using a TOTP (Time-based One-Time Password) authenticator app.
Unfortunately, I didn't read the instructions carefully enough the first time. I scanned the QR code using my phone's default QR code reader instead of a TOTP authenticator app.
The QR scan then opened an external link which led to an online betting website.
At that point, I was understandably concerned that I might have encountered a phishing attempt. I contacted IAL and reported what had happened, together with screenshots of what I had seen.
A day later, when I went through the Canvas setup again, I realised my mistake: the QR code was meant to be scanned using a TOTP authenticator app, not the phone's ordinary QR reader.
Once I followed the instructions correctly, I was able to complete the MFA setup and successfully log in to Canvas.
A little tip for new learners: If you are setting up Canvas for the first time and see a QR code for MFA, read the instructions carefully before scanning it. You need a TOTP authenticator app rather than your phone's usual QR-code reader.
I thought this was worth mentioning because it was an easy mistake to make, and the unexpected website that appeared after my first scan was certainly alarming. If you encounter anything similar, it would be safer to stop and check with IAL rather than proceeding.
Finally, Into the eLearning
Once the Canvas account was successfully set up, I could access the SFw 2.0 and Jobs-Skills Portal eLearning.
And finally, I was ready to start learning.
Next stop: completing the mandatory eLearning and getting the Certificate of Completion.
[Continue to Part 5: Before ACLP 3.0: Mandatory eLearning, Skills Framework (SFw) 2.0 and Jobs-Skills Portal]
Disclaimer: This article documents my personal experience of applying for ACLP 3.0 and is intended for sharing and reference only. It is not an official guide or representation of IAL's application process. The information and screenshots reflect my experience at the time of application in August 2026. Course requirements, fees, funding arrangements and other details may change, so please refer to the official IAL website for the latest information.

0 comments:
Post a Comment